The Meeting Someone New For The First Time Series
Part VII: End your first meeting right
You made it! You and your friend(s) have made it to the end of your first meeting. But hold on for a minute before you start the celebrating. The meet isn’t quite over until all of you part to leave. Whether your meeting went great or not up to your expectations, what’s done is done. There are two basic scenarios of how your meet could end, and here they are.
The meet didn’t go as well as you wanted it to and you wouldn’t want to go for a second meet. In this case, one of the major things you should NEVER say is that you’ll call them. You never know how they feel about the meet and those conversations, so even though you didn’t enjoy it, they might wait for your call. You could end with a polite “Thanks for coming out today. It was nice meeting you in person. I had a good time.” Don’t give them any reason to expect you to call them again.
The second case is where you had a good time at this first meeting. You aren’t about to promote them as your bestie yet but you would like to go out some other time. Keep the good bye short and sweet and you can tell them to expect a call. If both of you had mutual ‘had a great time’ feelings, then both of you would be comfortable in going out soon again and starting more conversations. Don’t try to elongate or compel them to stay for a bit longer. If they need to leave by a specific time, wind up the meet 10 minutes beforehand. And if the other person is a writer, be careful about these things.
But, do take note
Some things to remember when finishing up the meet and heading home are:
- Catch your own ride home. Even though you’ve spent a while with your friend, it’s only been your first meet. If they offer you a ride, politely decline and if it’s late, call a friend to come and pick you up.
- Tell a friend where you are and who all you’re with at the before leaving for the meet. If there are a change of plans or locations, keep your friend updated.
- Meeting at a public place has already been mentioned before and is very important.
- Keep your eyes on your drinks and food at all times. Though you are meeting a friend, it is never wrong to stay safe. Don’t get into a situation where you need to leave edibles alone with them.
- Don’t be afraid to leave if you start feeling uncomfortable. You are not compelled to be here against your will and you can leave whenever you want.
- Pre-plan your meeting and the time you would leave. Don’t elongate your stay because they asked you to.
- Don’t drink too much that you need to be driven home. It is never safe to end up drunk on your first meet.
And with that you are clear! You have finished your first meet and it’s your decision on what to do next! For those of you who are yet to go and meet your friends, good luck! Have a great time and as usual stay chill and be yourself!