Whether making friends comes naturally to you, adjusting to life as a college student can be difficult for anyone, especially if you find yourself not “clicking” with anyone early on.
With college recently opening, many of you are probably just getting to know your new classmates whom you’ll have to spend the next 3 or 4 years with. So it’s the first day and you’re nervous. It’s a common habit of humans to talk to people with similar interests and habits.
But this is a class full of strangers and you barely know anything about them, so the immediate thing you do is talk to the person sitting right next to you. In about a minute, you’ve judged them, marked them and either branded them as safe or a person to “maintain distance”.
The thing about college is that it’s very easy to form groups. It’s not voluntary or intended but it just happens. The entire class though “united” will be split into the North’s, South’s, Asians and whatnots. You will find yourself in one of these groups and after a few weeks, they’re your gang. Whether it be a group of 3 or 5, these are your people and when even one of them don’t show up, your day is incomplete.
For all the shy types out there, here are a few tips to make friends at your new college
- Introduce yourself every time you sit beside someone you don’t know. Though it might seem awkward at first, there’s no harm in trying and is the best way to start a new friendship. You never know, the person you talk to might be arranging your bachelor party in the future.
- Don’t try too hard to fit it. Yes, you want to make friends but sometimes trying too hard can make both of you awkward and uncomfortable.
- Be patient: It’s unlikely that as soon as you get in and get settled that you will have a new bestie by the end of the first week. (Though for some, it might be possible!) Be patient and take things slow if you want a lasting friendship rather than hang around with people you don’t gel with.
- Don’t stick with people from only your class or department: Having a comfort zone is common, though you can always make friends with people from other departments and years.
- Join in your culturals and extra-curriculars: This is probably one of the best ways to meet new people. Whether it be debate and literature or dance and sports, join in everything that interests you (make sure you take care of your studies as well).
- Be yourself! No matter what, be yourself. Don’t change yourself just for people to like you. You will find people who like you for who you are and you needn’t ever change.
And that’s pretty much to it. College is what you make it and how you shape yourself. It’s also one of the best experiences in your lifetime that you will never get back. So make the best of it, enjoy yourself, make new friends and have a great time!
And of course as always, stay chill and be yourself! ☺